Thursday, October 2, 2008

Question 1

I do not believe that it is possible to perceive others without in some way judging them because that is human nature. I believe that in the first few minutes or even seconds of meeting someone, you are taking in how they look, how they talk, hand gestures, and so on. Therefore, you automatically come up with an idea in your head about whom this person is. I feel that the more that you talk to the person and spend time with her or she, your perception can and it is almost likely to change. I do not think that it is a bad thing that we automatically assume something about someone. I feel this way because I always give that person time to show themselves to me. I feel that people who stick to their first impressions and never change it are ignorant and stubborn. Those are the people who do not ever have or keep true friends.

We can make judgments more fair by being more open minded and giving people more time to be themselves around you. When I first meet somebody, depending on my surroundings, I am not truly myself. I hope that these new people that I meet would give me time to come out of my shell and open up because that is what I like to do for others. Like the textbook says, “We can listen much faster than we can speak. This means that as we listen, we have plenty of time to think” (55). This sums up first impressions perfectly. When you are listening to someone new, you need to use that time to keep an open mind. Not everyone you meet are going to be just like you and want to do the same things you do. This is something that you have to keep in your mind. You are not going to be friends with every new person you meet, so it is okay that you might not click with them. It doesn’t mean that you should change your perception about them.

1 comment:

blondie said...

Hello Lee,

First impression matters. Well, that is what was taught in my family and now that I am older I understand that lesson. Think of the last interview you may have gone to and what you wore, how you sat, how you spoke, how your facial expressions changed, etc. Which, I agree with you that we are judged and categorized everyday. I like the quote you used from our textbook about being able to listen faster then we are able to talk. Maybe if our society learned how to truly listen more individuals would be heard for you they truly are and not just put into a category by physical appearance.


Have a great weekend!

Thanks,
Blondie