Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chapter 11 Post #1

Have you made friendships that exist exclusively in cyberspace? If so, how are they different from f2f relationships? If you have not formed cyber relationships, why not?

I have never formed a friendship exclusively through cyberspace. Meaning, I have never met anyone online and have become friends with them. This has never interested me mainly because I have always been skeptical of the idea that this person is really who he or she is saying they are. I do not have the type of personality to do that. This idea makes me think of websites like match.com where you try and meet other singles online and begin relationships. I know that this is very popular and it sometimes is pretty successful, however it can also be a very scary thing as well. When it comes to the Internet you never know who is on the other end.

Face to face relationships are much different to Internet relationships because you are comforted with the fact that you know who you are talking to. This face-to-face relationship is much more intimate and real unlike Internet relationships which are almost imaginary. I am not saying that Internet relationships are wrong or that you should never try one, I am just saying that they are not for me!

I will say that I have deepened many relationships because of the bond that we share online either through video chat or instant messaging. It is better than talking on the phone sometimes or even better than talking in person. Over the Internet conversations can be more candid and fun, which is sometimes important to relationships.

No comments: