Saturday, November 22, 2008

Chapter 11 Post #3

I do believe that Marshall’s idea is true. The reason I believe this is because the channel that the messages are received is very important. Receivers chose how they want to receive these messages, so that means that they will chose what they like the best whether it be TV, Internet or news print. How these messages are being said is what is going to keep the same audience coming back. Certain people hear information in different ways making is better for them to stick with one type of medium more than the other.

For me personally, I still love to read the newspaper daily. I also love to get my news on the Internet too. Both of these mediums are better for my style of learning. I know that other people like to watch TV when getting their news updates.

Marshall says that TV is a cool medium because “it demands that viewers fill in detail” (307). The television allows viewers to actually see what they are watching which helps them to make their own ideas and opinions. Viewers begin to feel like they can relate to the person on TV personally. Like our text says, viewers thought that John F. Kennedy was cool because viewers fell in love with his suave manner and his beautiful looks. Having him on TV helped views to see a side of him that they would have missed out on if they were reading about him in newspapers or listening to him speak on the radio.

No comments: